How do I get flood insurance?


Most homeowners and renters insurance policies do not cover damage caused by flooding. However, there is flood insurance available that offers building coverage and/or contents coverage that will help protect your home and valuables if they have been damage as a result of flooding.

Here are three ways to get flood insurance:

  1. Contact your existing insurance agent or company to ask about flood insurance coverage.
  2. Visit to locate a flood insurance provider in your area.
  3. Call the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) at 1-877-336-2627.

According to FEMA, just one inch of water in a home can cost more than $25,000 in damage. That means that flood insurance can be the difference between recovery and financial devastation.