Resident FAQs

Is King County Flood Control District the same as King County?

The King County Flood Control District and King County are separate governments. The Flood Control District is a special purpose government created to provide funding and policy oversight for flood risk reduction projects and programs throughout King County. The Flood Control District works very closely with the local and regional governments to bring a comprehensive approach to flood management. Through an interlocal agreement, King County serves as the primary service provider to the Flood Control District.

Is there a map that I can look at that shows flooding in my area?

Yes. Visit the Flood Risk Map and enter your property address to see if your property is in a flood risk area.

How do I get flood insurance?

Most homeowners and renters insurance policies do not cover damage caused by flooding. However, there is flood insurance available that offers building coverage and/or contents coverage that will help protect your home and valuables if they have been damage as a result of flooding.

Here are three ways to get flood insurance:

  1. Contact your existing insurance agent or company to ask about flood insurance coverage.
  2. Visit to locate a flood insurance provider in your area.
  3. Call the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) at 1-877-336-2627.

According to FEMA, just one inch of water in a home can cost more than $25,000 in damage. That means that flood insurance can be the difference between recovery and financial devastation.

What do I do if my house floods?

  • Turn off electricity, gas, and electricity only if it is safe to do so without stepping in water.
  • Evacuate the premise to a safe location with everyone who is at home including pets. If you need emergency medical assistance or are trapped in your location, dial 911.
  • Tune into local media stations or NOAA Weather Radio for warnings, possible evacuations, and up-to-date information.
  • If you are in need of temporary sheltering, call the Red Cross at 206-323-2345.
  • Call you insurance company – or landlord – to determine next steps.
  • Visit the Resources page for additional information.